Each section has literary devices examples, exercises, and an analysis of its role in literature.
- Metaphor. Metaphors, also known as direct comparisons, are one of the most common literary devices.
Meer items•22 sep. 2020
Learn how to write about techniques the right way, before the HSC!
- Allegory. Story with a double meaning: one primary (on the surface) and one secondary.
- Allusion. A subtle or indirect reference to another thing, text, historical period, or religious belief.
What are the four literary techniques?
These are technical terms for the “what” of a work. A literary device refers to a literary technique employed by the author to produce an effect (tone, irony, figurative language, symbolism, foreshadowing).
What are the different writing techniques?
There are four main types of writing: expository, descriptive, persuasive, and narrative. Each of these writing styles is used for a specific purpose. A single text may include more than one writing style.
What are the 20 literary devices?
20 Top Poetic Devices to Remember
- Allegory. An allegory is a story, poem, or other written work that can be interpreted to have a secondary meaning.
- Alliteration. Alliteration is the repetition of a sound or letter at the beginning of multiple words in a series.
- Blank Verse.
What are literary devices in literature?
Literary devices are techniques that writers use to express their ideas and enhance their writing. Literary devices highlight important concepts in a text, strengthen the narrative, and help readers connect to the characters and themes. These devices serve a wide range of purposes in literature.
What are the 7 literary elements?
Writers of fiction use seven elements to tell their stories:
- Character. These are the beings who inhabit our stories.
- Plot. Plot is what happens in the story, the series of events.
- Setting. Setting is where your story takes place.
- Literary Devices.
What are the 10 elements of literature?
The Top 10 Story Elements for Picture Books
- Character. Characters are the heart and soul of any story.
- Conflict. They say that there are only four real conflicts in literature: man vs.
- Word Play.
What are the 5 text types?
- 1 Narrative text type.
- 2 Expository text type.
- 3 Argumentative text type.
- 4 Literature.
What are the 5 features of effective writing?
The five Features of Effective Writing are focus, organization, support and elaboration, grammatical conventions, and style. Focus is the topic/subject/thesis established by the writer in response to the writing task. The writer must clearly establish a focus as he/she fulfills the assignment of the prompt.
What are the 15 literary devices?
Here are 15 literary devices to use in your writing:
What are 5 poetic devices?
What are the 16 literary devices?
Terms in this set (16)
- Aphorism. expresses an opinion or original thought; proverb; words to live by.
- Paradox. self contradicting statement but expresses the truth.
- Allusion. an implied or indirect reference to a person, event, or thing or to another part of the text.
- Red Herring.
What are the literary structure?
Structure, or form, is the arrangement of story elements according to purpose, style and genre. Structure may be confused with plot. While the plot is the events in the story itself, heavily affected by character, setting and theme, the structure is how these elements are presented to the reader.
What are different types of literary devices?
22 Different Types of Literary Devices and How to Use Them
- Allegory. Allegory is a literary device used to express large, complex ideas in an approachable manner.
- Dramatic Irony.
- Extended Metaphor.
What are literary elements examples?
For example, plot, theme, character and tone are literary elements, whereas figurative language, irony, or foreshadowing would be considered literary techniques.
What literary devices are used in everyday use?
Everyday Use by Alice Walker: Symbolism and other Literary
- Point of View. “Everyday Use” is told in first-person point of view.
- Symbolism. The story is not only rich in symbolism, it is also about symbolism.
- Diction and Dialect.
- Source Credits: